Share this page!
About the OKELO 'Portable Puzzle Board Comfort' Puzzle Folder 1000 Pieces
I bought this OKELO puzzle folder or puzzle case called 'Portable Puzzle Board Comfort' on puzzle-plein.nl in April 2021 for 29,95 euros. This puzzle folder has a size of:
– 80 centimeters wide
– 56 centimeters high
This is shown visually:
This puzzle map looks like this:
I bought these in black, I haven't seen anywhere that you can order them in another color (April 2021).
If you measure exactly how big this puzzle folder is - does a 500 or 1000 piece puzzle fit on this? Yes, the standard dimensions of these two puzzle sizes are:
– 1000 pieces puzzle = 68 centimeters wide and 49 centimeters high
– 500 pieces puzzle = 49 centimeters wide and 35 centimeters high
The dimensions of the 1000-piece Ravensburger puzzles also fit on this puzzle folder, because these dimensions are:
– 1000 pieces puzzle = 70 centimeters wide and 50 centimeters high
Do you want to know dimensions or sizes of all puzzles of all pieces? Then view my page 'dimensions puzzles'
What's in the box of the OKELO 'Portable Puzzle Board Comfort' Puzzle Folder 1000 Pieces
What's in the box is the following:
– the puzzle map itself
– there are 2 loose sheets in the puzzle folder
About the puzzle folder itself: I don't know exactly what material the puzzle folder is made of, but it feels somewhat hard and sturdy.
If you open the puzzle folder, there will be two separate puzzle sheets in it, which you place from the puzzle folder to put your puzzle pieces on it. So you actually have 3 sheets at your disposal to puzzle:
– on 1 sheet you put the puzzle – this is the 'fixed' sheet
– on 1 loose leaf that you place next to the puzzle folder – for example to the left of your puzzle folder, you put puzzle pieces
– on 1 other loose leaf that you place next to the puzzle folder – for example to the right of your puzzle folder, place puzzle pieces.
You see the two puzzle sheets here – I have put them here from the puzzle folder, because that's how you will also puzzle with them:
And a photo as you take it out of the packaging, then the two puzzle sheets are in the puzzle folder:
OKELO 'Portable Puzzle Board Comfort' Puzzle Folder 1000 Pieces - Other Elements
Also worth mentioning are three elements of this OKELO puzzle case for 500 and 1000 pieces, namely:
– the Velcro straps
There are 3 Velcro straps, with which you can fasten the various parts of the puzzle folder together. Here you can see where these Velcro straps are:
This is easy. Except that it can make quite a bit of noise. The Velcro straps are quite sturdy, which has the advantage that they stay in place. You have to apply a little bit of force to get them open. Here's a close-up of 1 of the Velcro straps - this is one of the two Velcro straps on the sides:
Where are these Velcro straps?
So there are two Velcro strips on both sides of the puzzle folder and there is 1 Velcro strip on the top of the puzzle folder. With these Velcro straps you close the puzzle folder well and you can transport it. The disadvantage 'may' be that there is no handle on the puzzle folder.
- the zipper
There is also a zipper with this puzzle folder. You can see the zipper here in the photo:
Where is the zipper located? You can see in the photo from above where the zipper sees:
What is the function of this zipper? The zipper actually makes this puzzle folder multifunctional. You have two options with this puzzle map:
1. You leave the two parts of the puzzle map together. So you leave the zipper closed. In this case you make use of the possibility that you can tilt the puzzle folder and this is a nicer position for puzzling.
2. You unzip the two parts of the puzzle folder. In this case you will not use the option to tilt this puzzle map. You then 'just' puzzle on 3 separate puzzle sheets, as you actually have with all other puzzle folders.
– the 'standard' (hard iron bar)
It looks like this from above:
And this one looks like this up close:
And this is what it looks like when you have placed the iron bar under your puzzle folder:
This stand is a small hard iron holder / rod. You can use this, which is handy, because it gives a little more firmness if you set up the puzzle folder in such a way that you puzzle at an angle. The advantage of this is that the puzzle folder will be a little more stable. As you can see in my video, the kickstand does provide support in the center, but not on the sides of the puzzle map.
Note: As you can see, this puzzle map does not have a handle that allows you to pick up the puzzle map when you want to move it or take it somewhere.
OKELO 'Portable Puzzle Board Comfort' Puzzle Folder 1000 Pieces - unpacking the box
I made an unpacking video of this OKELO 'Portable Puzzle Board Comfort' puzzle folder for a 500 or 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle:
Assembling the OKELO puzzle folder
As you have already read above, you can use this puzzle map in two ways:
1. You're going to do a 'diagonal' puzzle
In this case, you use the zipper, you leave it stuck and you put an elevation under the puzzle map, as it were. You support the slanting puzzle folder with the iron rod that comes with it. I made the following video about this:
2. You are not going to puzzle 'obliquely'
There is another zipper with this puzzle folder and you can therefore just puzzle on the floor (so not at an angle). In this case it will be a regular puzzle folder, where you will receive 1 extra puzzle sheet. However, if you are going to put pieces on this extra puzzle sheet, you have to put those pieces back in the box, because otherwise you cannot store your puzzle in the puzzle folder; and that's what it's meant for, a puzzle map 🙂 You can see this in the following video:
Explaining the puzzle
I am going to make a 1000 piece Jan van Haasteren puzzle with this puzzle folder. It's the puzzle'Christmas Eve'. That's this puzzle:
How do you put your puzzle pieces together?
You lay out your puzzle pieces on the 2 separate puzzle sheets that come with it. You place the puzzle itself on the puzzle sheet that you can place diagonally in front of you (using that hard iron bar for good support). A 1000 puzzle fits well on this puzzle folder, but not all pieces fit on the puzzle folder and the 2 separate puzzle sheets. So you realize that you have to explain some pieces on the floor. For example, it would look like this:
Storing the OKELO Puzzle Folder
How does it work if you want to store this OKELO Puzzle Folder?
I started puzzling with this puzzle folder and started storing the puzzle in the puzzle folder. What you have to do is that you put the pieces that do not fit on the 2 separate puzzle sheets, you have to store these pieces in your puzzle box (or somewhere else). You cannot put these loosely on the puzzle sheets, because then those pieces will certainly fall around everywhere in your puzzle folder. I made a video of this where you can see how to do this. I shake the puzzle folder around quite a bit to see how well the pieces stay put.
NB: Normally I am much more careful with a puzzle folder myself - so know that many more of your pieces will be left behind than in my video:
Turn off or start using the OKELO Puzzle Folder
Once you've cleaned up your puzzle in the puzzle folder, you can store it away or take it with you somewhere. There is no handle on this puzzle folder. Explaining the puzzle folder is easy via the 3 Velcro straps – 2 on the sides and 1 on the top. You can see that the pieces have stayed put very well. If you want to use all the pieces again, you have to turn the pieces you had saved in the puzzle box. So if you go somewhere else, you have to take both your puzzle folder and your puzzle box with you. Watch my video below on explaining or unpacking the puzzle folder:
Quality of the puzzle map
The quality of the puzzle map is fine. I mainly look at whether the puzzle pieces stay put or shift. As you saw in the videos above, the puzzle pieces will stay in place if you move the puzzle map. Even when you are doing puzzles, the surface is made of fine material. The puzzle pieces are easy to slide when you puzzle. You are also not bothered by puzzle pieces getting caught behind wires or the like when you move them. Furthermore, the Okelo puzzle folder comes across as being made of sturdy material.
Pros and Cons of the OKELO Puzzle Map
- Especially the position in which you puzzle, because of the tilt of the puzzle folder you have a nice puzzle position, you bend less for your back
- It is a solid puzzle folder, made of strong and sturdy material
- Iron bar gives just some support when you puzzle in the oblique position
- Two separate puzzle sheets are handy, possibly even 3 are possible
- Puzzle pieces absolutely stay put when you transport the map
- Price is comparable to similar puzzle folders for puzzles up to 1000 pieces
- Not all pieces of a 1000-piece puzzle can be stored on the separate puzzle sheets. If you store the puzzle in the puzzle folder, you still have to put an x number of puzzle pieces back in the box and sort them out later (not a disadvantage for everyone)
- Decent noise from the Velcro straps you open (how bad is that (?))
- Lack of a handle to easily transport and pick up the puzzle folder
- It may still be unclear how to use this puzzle folder (why is that zipper there?) if you just bought it, there was no clear manual with it, you have that above, I had to find out myself
About this provider
|Size puzzle folder||80 centimeters wide and 56 centimeters high|
|Quality mark||Not present|
|Loose puzzle sheets?||Yes, 2 pieces (or even 3!)|
|For which puzzles?||500 and 1000 pieces|
|Closing folder||With Velcro and zippers|
Where can I buy?
|Provider||Pricing||Visit the site|
|Puzzle-plein.nl||39,95 (April 2021)||Buy now|
|Bol.com||32,95 (April 2021)||Buy now|
Post a review
I wrote the above review, and made a puzzle on this puzzle map. Great puzzle folder and good quality. Big advantage is the oblique puzzle position.
Share this page!